Share Post

Post stats

Views511

If it's got fluttery wings, and gorgeous colors...

Jacki CammidgeJacki Cammidge, Certified Horticulturist - fol... (more)

...is it a butterfly?  In my garden, I sure hope so! 

This is the time of year when it all breaks loose; I've had lots of Commas, Mourning Cloaks and Lorquins Admirals, which - don't get me wrong - they're fabulous; but now, as soon as the Sedum starts to bloom in earnest, the Great Spangled fritillaries will emerge. 
The male version of the Great Spangled Fritillary

These bright orange and brown butterflies are so active and ambitious.  They'll spend every waking moment fluttering above the flowers, dipping into as many as they can.  They're so engrossed in this that they don't even move if a big bumble bee also wants to glean nectar from the same flower head.
...and here's the bride...

If I'm lucky, I'll have a female one visiting - for the longest time, I thought this was a fluke, a one of, never to be repeated.  This enormous brown and lacy edged beauty visited one time only for a few hours, then disappeared.  Now I know; it was a female Speyeria cybele, which sometimes also goes under it's own species, Speyeria leto, just because they're so different from each other.

See more about the visitors to my garden here:
@Butterflies
Comment

Blog

Gardening with less water, finding plants that ...

Author

Jacki Cammidge
Jacki Cammidge
Certified Horticulturist - follow me on G+: https://plus.googl...